CONNECTION 2025 TRANSIT PLAN
Learn all about the Connections 2025 Transit Plan on this page. Check out the updated proposed route-by-route changes and updated interactive system map below. Interested in more details or have comments on the plan? Share your feedback by emailing email@example.com, calling 512-369-6000 or on Facebook and Twitter.
CONNECTIONS 2025 TRANSIT PLAN
Connections 2025 is Capital Metro’s big, bold transit vision for a more frequent, more reliable and more connected transit system. This plan will guide the evolution of our network over the next five years, and identifies long-range opportunities over the next 10 years.
Now that the Connections 2025 strategic plan has been adopted by the Capital Metro board of directors, we’ll continue working with the community throughout each implementation phase. Each implementation phase will require a subsequent public hearing process to sufficiently notify the community of upcoming service changes and consider feedback. We will also assess Title VI impacts of the proposed service changes and submit them to the Capital Metro board for review and approval.
The plan triples Capital Metro’s High-Frequency Route Network from six to 17 routes, adds two MetroRapid lines, with more east/west service, straighter routes and better system connectivity. The plan adds two MetroRapid lines, additional stations 1/3 mile apart, 7-10 minute frequency, and Local fares instead of Premium. By focusing on frequency, many new routes could operate at 15 minutes or better, with others at 30 minutes.
By focusing on frequency, many new routes could operate at 15 minutes or better, with others at 30 minutes.
Rapid Transit – MetroRail or bus with dedicated regional right-of-way, frequency every 15 minutes.
MetroRapid – Along major corridors, with additional stations 1/3 mile apart, Local fares instead of Premium, frequency every 7-10 minutes.
Frequent – Along major corridors, frequency every 15 minutes.
Local – Connecting neighborhoods to High Frequency Network and major destinations, frequency every 30 minutes.
Express – Connecting Park & Rides to key destinations.
Community – Circulator routes serving short-distances.
UT – School-year service connecting residential areas to campus.
TRANSIT PLAN OVERVIEW VIDEO
TOP 10 BENEFITS OF THE CONNECTIONS 2025 PLAN
What’s new about the plan?
- More Frequent: High-Frequency Route Network boosted from 6 to 17 routes traveling every 15 minutes or better, over ½ million people will be within walking distance of a frequent route.
- More East/West: Adds 2 MetroRapid routes going east/west with 9 frequent routes running every 15 minutes or better.
- More Direct: Routes will be straighter and better connected to activity centers and denser parts of town for easy traveling.
- Simplified Fares: Flattens fares for fast, easy boarding and simplified connections.
- More Rapid: Adds 2 MetroRapid routes through downtown and east Austin with stations added to current routes, increasing frequency to 7-10 minutes.
- “Super BRT”: Adds a MetroRapid route operating on future I-35 Express Lanes with in-line stations.
- Goes Further: Ability to access more distant destinations in less time with less waiting and more frequency.
- More Express: Adds more reliable Express bus service by utilizing new MoPac Express Lanes, connecting to growing communities outside the central core.
- Community Routes: New service that may include on-demand, circulator or short-distance neighborhood routes, connecting to the larger network.
- Faster: Suggests adding more transit priority lanes, curb extensions to increase pedestrian safety, signal priority and other ways to keep buses and riders ahead of traffic congestion.
ROUTE BY ROUTE INFORMATION
Curious about your regular route, or details in your neighborhood? Download our route by route list (Excel) of recommended service changes.
TRANSIT PLAN INTERACTIVE MAP
View the map below to check out the proposed network. Zoom-in to your neighborhood, or view individual routes by clicking on the expand icon in the top left corner above the map.